10. My light grey DKNY coat that I thrifted at the Salvation Army. I’m telling you, this is a thing of beauty. I couldn’t have paid more than $8 for it, and it’s impeccable. Knee-length, menswear-inspired, the warmest, and is a delight to put on every morning. I pair it with this oversized chunky cable knit infinity scarf from Gap, and I basically walk the runway (a.k.a. the sidewalk leading to the front door of work).
9. My desk. It’s quirky, and it’s mine. I’m the type of person who gets excited over things like “decorating” my desk, so it consists of a tacky gold desk lamp, picture frames, knick-knack boxes, my favorite mouse pad of Michaelangelo’s David filtered in Andy Warhol-style colors that I made in high school, and a Cubs beanie baby, amongst other things. Yeah, I’m that girl.
8. The prospect of baseball season. Planning a possible Spring Training trip makes beers, sunshine, baseball hats, and green ivy feel that much closer . Also, today I tweeted at the Cubs that I want Anthony Rizzo to be my Valentine.
7. Reddit. Honestly gets me through the day. r/Iama, r/todayilearned, and r/aww are some of my favorites. Once you get into the routine of checking Reddit everyday, it’s impossible to leave. You’ve been warned.
6. Nala Cat. Do you follow this adorable being on Instagram? Holy moly, she is the cutest.
5. Listening to the same CD in the car everyday. I only have a 10-15 minute commute to work each day, but I play the same CD in the car there and back. I never get sick of it.
4. The Lumineers. This is not the CD that I listen to in the car everyday, but I definitely could. I listened to their album on Spotify the other day and I loved every track. Also, The Lumineers Pandora station is killer, killer, killer.
3. Prabal Gurung for Target. So, I’m kind of crazy. I told myself a while back that I wasn’t going to buy anything from this designer line until items started hitting the clearance rack (I’m a frugal fashionista). But then I was watching the Grammys red carpet, and I swear to god they played the damn commercial for it every chance they got. Well, their marketing worked on a sucker like me, and I ran out to the store, bought 7 pieces from the collection, and made it back home in time for the Grammys to start.
2. 30 Rock on Netflix. I was very, very, very late to catch the 30 Rock bus. I never watched, or had the intention of watching, the show when it was on the air. But the other day I was browsing aimlessly through Netflix and figure I’d give it a shot. It. Is. Everything. And I watch an episode (or five) every chance I get. Liz Lemon 4 Eva.
1. Man Repeller’s V-Day post. Let me start out by saying that Man Repeller (a.k.a Leandra Medine) obviously dresses amazingly, yaddah yaddah yaddah, but the look on her face has never sat well for me. (Sorry.) However, I started following her on Twitter the other day because I follow her on Instagram and she was all over NYFW, naturally, and anyway, she posted a link to her latest blog post, “Celebrating V-day.” I’m forever a fan. Here’s my favorite snippet from the article, but I suggest you read the whole thing, especially if you are like me and needed a little pick-me-up on Valentine’s Day.
You have a companion within yourself and depending on your sense of humor, her name might be Ninja Boot. She will never abandon you and though often attack you with a deep rouge surprise, her intentions are only in your best interest. I think that’s important to remember.
I’ll drink to that.